Things I can handle vs things I can't - day 54

The ancient Greek expression, "Know Thyself", can mean just about anything we want it to: know your strengths, know your limits, know your motivations, know your worth. It takes courage and honestly to look introspectively and acknowledge these things about oneself. 

So I've been asking myself, "What are things I can handle versus things I can't?"

Things I can handle:

  • Intuitive eating
  • 2 drink maximum
  • Social Media
  • Watching/reading the news
  • Exercise
  • Weighing myself
  • Working
Things I can't handle:
  • Adderall
  • Liquor
  • More than 2 drinks
  • Restrictive diet plans
  • Not seeing family weekly
  • Being a stay-at-home mom
  • Being alone
These lists change and evolve depending on where I am mentally or emotionally. Things like weighing myself, exercise, and restrictive diet plans used to rule my life. Now, I can properly handle those things. Same with social media. In the early days of my divorce, when I was also addicted to Adderall, I was insane on social and ended up getting rid of all of it for a year. Now, I have built a really fun following of strictly friends and family, and I enjoy engaging with them on various platforms. I don't see me ever allowing the "Thing I Can't Handle" items ever making their way back into my life. I can see some of the Things I Can moving and shifting, like 2 drinks, I can see myself one day never drinking again.

This is a really interesting thought exercise, I would encourage everyone to sit for a moment and ask pose this same question to themselves.  

Comments