Ending of LOTR Book Club- day 76

Lord of the Rings Book Club was easily one of the most fun activities I have ever participated in... And the nerdiest lol. We started with The Fellowship of the Ring in January, and read the entire trilogy together, finishing our last meeting yesterday.

Not only is Tolkien's writing an undeniable masterpiece, the perspectives and insights everyone shared on a weekly basis added so much depth to the text. It's like listening to a pastor explain a verse you've read a thousand times, in a whole new, and meaningful way. 

What I loved most about the book club was what it brought out in me. It gave me a place to be creative and funny with an audience I felt safe with. I spent hours making games or slideshows for the group, just to make them laugh and feel special. Somewhere along the way, I forgot how to just be silly and nerdy and goofy, and was taking life too seriously. I'm glad LOTR Book Club reminded me how fun it is to make people laugh. 

People belittle their hobbies and things that bring them joy all the time. On Great British Bake Off, people will cry when their cake doesn't turn out well. They always say to the camera, "I'm so embarrassed to be crying, it's just a cake."

Says who? Who says your cake baking hobby is less important than someone's marathon running hobby? Who says making games for a book club is less important than someone's cycle class hobby? Why are hobbies like exercise, gardening, and painting seen as more worthwhile than reading, gaming, or cooking? Don't stop yourself from really, deeply enjoying something just because others don't see its value or worth. Not everything that makes you happy has to yield something. When you are lucky enough to find something you love, love it wholly. Like how I loved my book club. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grocery List

Atomic Habits Bullet Points