What do you worship? What do you celebrate?- Day 14

 I'm reading a book called Rediscover Catholicism, it is all about reawakening your Catholic faith putting it back as a priority in your life. 

I have enjoyed the read so far, I'm about a quarter of the way into it, and something that has struck me are two question the author poses:

What do you worship? What do you celebrate?

See human beings are drawn to religion, whether we realize it or not. We are drawn to something greater than ourselves, a cause worth fighting for, something that gives meaning to our short lives. Ideally, we would harness that yearning and desire into a relationship with Christ; accepting His love, salvation, and purpose for our lives.

But most of us reject that authentic religious calling, and replace it with a perversion of worship. We worship work, and hustle, and money. We worship government, and policy, and social justice. We worship our bodies, our status, and sense of importance. 

We please whatever god we think will bring us closer to what we worship; your God is your CEO, your God is your politician, or you are your own God to serve and please. 

What do we celebrate? Financial success, fitness, followers, obscure lawmaking, election winning,...it goes on an on. 

I took a hard look at myself and wondered: what do I worship? What do I celebrate? and are these things worth sacrificing my life to? and if not, how do I shift that focus onto something that is worth my energy, heart, mental capacity, and most importantly, my soul?

Comments