Criticizing someone else - day 11

A few years ago at a friend's birthday party, I met a girl that I instantly didn't like. She was late to the dinner, made a big production of her entrance, and only got more obnoxious from there. She was a snob, an elitist, doled out advice no one asked for, had to one up everyone at the table... you get it. 

After the party, everyone was tagged in Instagram pics and stories, so she and I ended up following one another. And what a ride that follow took me on!

She is a keyboard warrior to say the LEAST; posting every social justice meme she could get her hands on, she clearly got a high from the self righteousness. I always got a good kick out of her "outrage of the day" posts- I mean, this girl went hard for people, and it became entertaining to be honest!

Anyway, she posted recently that she had written a book. I was obviously interested, so I read the excerpt that she posted..

I was shocked by the self promoting, larger than life ego, self absorbed nature of every single word I read. 

I have heard A LOT of people are turned off by the Rachel Hollis, Glennon Doyle types, and man oh man, she gave them a run for their money. 

But I will say, if she has actually written an entire book, she's done a hell of a lot more than me. I haven't found my voice, or writing style, or even thesis yet. 

Stephen King says it is likely that you will write similarly to the authors you read. I wonder if reading something you hate will mold you as a writer as well. 

As I continue to write, what I want to avoid is: making my journey sound like something that made me great. Because it didn't, and I'm not. But I also want to avoid unnecessary self deprecation. Because I've been through some shit, I did a lot of stuff wrong, but I did some things right. 

I think there is a fine line I want to find, because I think "relatable" can be manufactured, I think "harnessing your energy" is bullshit, I think "be better than who you were yesterday" is toxic, I think "if I can do it, you can too" is reductive, I think "manifesting" is beyond idiotic...  so maybe I just want to be....

I don't know yet. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grocery List

Atomic Habits Bullet Points