Essay: Everyone likes a comeback story...when it's a man.- day 97
Everyone likes a comeback story...when it's a man.
I've listened to some truly inspirational speakers in my life, but the ones that always hit me the hardest, are the stories of redemption. From abject poverty, to incredible financial success. From drug addict, to the founding member of a rehabilitation center. From the depths of sin and despair, to the redeeming love of Christ.
I've heard hundreds of these stories, and I am awestruck by them every time.
But I got to thinking about my own comeback story, and I have a gut feeling that hideous past will never be forgiven, and my redemption admired, because I'm a woman. When I think of comeback stories, I immediately think of some of my favorite movies: Rocky, Shawshank Redemption, Good Will Hunting, Dead Poet Society, Pursuit of Happiness... They all touched my heart and moved me, but they also all have a male protagonist.
When I think of popular comeback stories that hit the media, they don't look as touching as my Hollywood favorites. Jordan Belford, better known as the Wolf of Wall Street, openly admitted to soliciting prostitutes, abusing drugs, harassing female coworkers, and defrauding over $200 million dollars. And what did he get? 22 months in prison and a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio portraying him. Virginia's governor admitting to posing in a KKK outfit for his college yearbook; his consequence? Sort of apologizing, but it's all good, he's still the governor. Tiger Woods breaking his wife's heart, sleeping with (hundreds?) of women. But then he won the Masters so everyone is okay with it now. I listened to a preacher once who spoke about his previous addiction to pornography, how he went from woman to woman to woman, how sex consumed his life. But now by the grace of God he's been redeemed.
I look at those scenarios and I wonder what they would look like if you replaced them with a woman. Rachel Kirkconnell from the Bachelor was ridiculed and shamed nationwide for attending and Antebellum party. Wearing an old fashion ballgown seems less offense than dressing up in a KKK outfit to me? Have you ever heard of a woman who defrauded millions and then went on to make a career out of her crimes? Because I haven't. Has a female preacher ever, EVER discussed her sexual sin with a congregation? Absolutely not. Can you imagine a famous female doing what Tiger Woods did and being able to show her face in society ever again? Because I can't.
When I think of the darkness I created, the bad I inflicted, and the harm I caused others, I have a feeling that no matter how much good I do, I will always be thought of as the sum of all my lowest lows. And I believe that is because I'm a woman.
Men forgive other men. Women forgive them too. But women....we tear our own down. When Rachel Hollis said something *slightly* elitist, women came running to watch her empire burn down. When Stassi Schroeder misspoke, women couldn't wait to label her a racist and crucify her for it. I could come up with example after example of women taking each other down with no hope for redemption.
Comments
Post a Comment