My Mini Chalkboard

DIY Mini Chalkboard

Materials:

  • Framed Mirror
  • Chalkboard Paint
  • Paint brush
  • Painters tape

I have been wanting to make a framed chalkboard for awhile now, every weekend I promise myself I am going to craft, but then I never do.

Fortunately, I have the entire week of Thanksgiving off and finally decided to create this adorable decoration.


I went to Hobby Lobby today and to my happy surprise, all mirrors were 50% off! This one was $69.99 and I got it for $34.99. Such a steal.



I had read online a few different ways to paint a mirror with chalkboard paint, some said to gently sand it with steel wool, but I decided to forgo that step. I cleaned the glass with Windex and allowed it to fully dry.


I then lined the inside of the mirror with painters tape. Be sure to tape it off well! 


My mom has an entire chalkboard wall at the top of her stairwell and had plenty of paint left over that I used. My advice- MIX IT WELL! It must be the nature of the paint because it was very separated and required extensive stirring. Once I felt like the paint was consistent throughout, I applied the first coat. It looked streaky (as you can see above) but dried totally flat!


RUST-OLEUM Writeable-erasable Latex Paint is what I used if you are interested in a particular brand. Cleaning/erasing is easy, all you need is a damp paper towel or cloth. Work in one direction with a sweeping motion (top to bottom) and turn over cloth to a clean side each time, otherwise it will just spread the chalk dust around.


Here is what I drew this at the top of the stairwell at my parents house:
Happy crafting!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grocery List

Atomic Habits Bullet Points