Thanksgiving 2016
The first Thanksgiving we shared together as a married couple, we went to College Station to watch A&M play LSU. My parents are big Aggies and always do a tailgate, and his family had a suite we could sit and watch the game in. I had become very close with a gorgeous, female coworker whose family was in California, so we invited her to come to College Station with us for the holiday fun. It was only going to a day long trip, since CS is only about a 90 minute drive from Houston.
At this time, we had a German Shepherd puppy, so we hired a lady to come to the house and let the dog out while we were gone.
The day started off really fun. We took my coworker friend to the iconic A&M bars, had a few drinks around Northgate, then headed over to my parents tailgate. I knew my husband planned on getting hammered, as usual, so I would be the one driving us home after the game. I had a few beers throughout the afternoon, never getting tipsy, and of course, did not drink during the football game.
My husband was incredibly drunk as we went up to the suite where his family was. I would be shocked if he even remembered watching the game. He continued to drink throughout the entire evening, and even made a roadie for the drive home.
As we were driving home, he was shamelessly flirting with my coworker friend. Begging her to stay the night at our house, asking her over and over to come inside and get high with him, asking her sexually suggestive questions, and so on. I was seething. When we finally got home, my coworker called an Uber and went back to her apartment.
I opened our garage door with opener inside the truck. When we tried to get in the house from the garage door, it was locked. We NEVER locked that door, and immediately realized the dog sitter must have done it after she left. Neither of us had a key, so I asked my husband for the dog sitters number so I could call her and go get the key from her.
He was so unbelievably drunk, he refused to give me her number, yelling at me that it was too late at night to call anyone. Calling me rude and dramatic. I was exhausted and hurt from the day and from his behavior, all I wanted to do was get in my house, shower, and go to bed.
Then suddenly, he started becoming absolutely erratic. He hopped over our back gate, took off his shirt, wrapped it around his fist and said he was going to punch out a window so we could get in. I was screaming and begging him not to do that. I asked again and again for his phone so I could just call the dog sitter, but in his drunken state he just continued to refuse and be totally unreasonable.
I remembered that I had once helped my dad change out a doorknob, so I found some tools in the garage and tried to take off the knob, thinking this would let us in. All the while my husband was in the backyard acting like a maniac; chain smoking cigarettes and punching windows. I wasn't able to get the doorknob off, and ended up damaging it in my attempt.
Finally, after hours of this insanity, he gave me the dog sitters phone number. I called her, got in the car, drove to her house, got the key, and came back. I let us in, and my husband made another drink and got out his bong, while I let the dogs out to go to the bathroom, and went to bed. That night my husband pissed the bed, which was not an uncommon occurrence when he was completely obliterated.
The next day my husband was a terror. He was livid about what I had done to the garage doorknob. He blamed me for how horribly the day had gone, saying that I was the cause of all the drama, blaming me for not having a spare key, etc. He was extremely hung over, so he smoked a ton of weed and passed out most of the day. I always wanted to be a good wife and have our home run smoothly, so while he slept off the alcohol, I went to the grocery store, did laundry, took care of the dogs, and cleaned.
The doorknob was never fixed (at least as long as I lived there) and every time he used it, he would make a remark about that awful Thanksgiving Day and how it was my fault.
Comments
Post a Comment