21 Day Sugar Detox: My experience


Three weeks before my beach vacation, I began the 21 day sugar detox. I first heard about this detox from my boyfriend who follows a fitness expert, Cory Gregory, on twitter. We read up on the detox, did some research of our own, and began. We are normally very active and healthy people, and to be totally transparent, this detox was a major challenge for the both of us!

I am not a nutritionist and I would recommend knowing your body and talking to a professional before embarking on anything like this. The only bits of advice I can give are from my own experiences on this journey.

July 4th vs August 4th
In 21 days I lost exactly 4.8 pounds. That may not sound ground breaking, but I have noticed a huge change in my face, arms, and abs. I have a very positive body image, I love every curve and muscle, but before this detox I was not feeling like the best or healthiest version of myself.

Preparation and planning are the keys to success on this diet! I would grocery shop every Sunday, go home, and immediately prepare my meals. Chicken in the oven, browning turkey, boiling eggs, cutting up veggies, bagging almonds... it was an all day event! I cannot express enough how important the prepping process is, being hungry and not having anything readily available is the easiest way to cheat or "slip up".



A typical day of eating looked like this:

Breakfast:
2 egg whites, 1 whole egg
Handful of spinach
Diced smoked turkey


Egg Scramble
Snack:
15 - 18 Almonds

Lunch:
6 oz grilled chicken breast
Sauteed zucchini and squash
Steamed cauliflower

Dinner:
6 oz Salmon filet
Asparagus spears
1/2 sweet potato


Sweet potato, salmon, asparagus

After dinner:
Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries

I was never hungry on this detox. However, my cravings were through the roof! Late at night when cravings hit I found that chewing gum, drinking hot tea, or talking out my weak moments with my roommate and boyfriend kept me on track!

I had a lot of ups and downs on this detox, doing it with a partner made it so much easier. Having to turn down double dates, happy hours, and find alternative ways to see friends that didn't include food and alcohol was not easy. We had to explore new ways to have fun in our city other than going out in Midtown! 



I have to work very hard to maintain my weight. I probably always will. The above quote speaks to me; I am grateful for my struggle because it has made me strong!

To get more information I would recommend buying the book: 21 Days Sugar Detox by Diane Sanfilippo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grocery List

Atomic Habits Bullet Points